Pages

Friday 4 March 2016

Okinawa: The Birthplace of Karate



Entrance to Okinawa Prefecture Museum
In today's post, I want to talk about Okinawa, the place that gave us Karate. I want to talk about the history of the island and how Karate came to be. The Okinawan islands are the most southern part of Japan which is made up of thousands of small islands.

These islands are called Prefectures. The Okinawa prefecture is a hub of tourists. Many of the tourists are there to enjoy the warm climate and the beaches which Okinawa has no shortage of but there is a group of tourists that is there for a deeper purpose and that is to find the roots of any style of Karate they practice. Okinawa is the base for all styles of Karate. It is where it all started.

The headquarters for most of the world's biggest Karate organizations are in Naha, Okinawa. So how did Martial Art come to be? People living on the island were not allowed to carry Katanas( Samurai Swords) so they had to learn how to defend themselves from raiders and thieves. This was purpose Karate was invented by mixing Chinese Martial Arts and local forms of self-defense called Naha-te.

Okinawa was taken over by the Satsuma Samurai clan of Japan and it was forbidden for commoners to carry Samurai weapons. The local people found a very effective way of defending themselves by inventing not only Karate but by also turning everyday utensils into weapons. The practice of weaponry if called Kubodo.


A Chinese Scholar, Chinese Gardens, Naha
Takashiki Island, Okinawa

11 comments:

  1. Great post! It's interesting to hear the history of karate and the reason it was created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syed, I'm not a fan of this kind of sport but due to your blog I'm going to improve my knowledge in this field! Thanks for fascinating information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm familiar with Okinawa because of WWII, but had no idea that it was the birthplace of karate. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Syed!! As a keen traveller, I'd love to visit the Prefectures as well as learn Karate in the city where it originated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really been that knowledgeable about karate but Okinawa looks beautiful. How about I leave the karate to you & i'll do the traveling to this amazing destination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating post, Syed! As a fellow Martial Artist, getting to train in Okinawa is a dream of mind. Your pictures look incredible as well. Maybe we can spar one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okinawa looks beautiful. I've never made it Japan but I want to. However, I think I'll leave the martial arts to you. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go to Japan long times ago, but I do not decide which place should I go firstly in Japan. i think Okinawa will be on my "go-list" after I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Interesting to know the reason behind creating karate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just amazing to read about the history of Karate and Martial Arts, and how these both forms are connected. Thanks Syed for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with everybody else: this is a really interesting post!! You had a great chance by visiting Okinawa. My brother was learning karate when he was a kid and I used to go to some if his practices, but he lost his enthusiasm and stop training. I wish he had remained practicing it.

    ReplyDelete